Modern Slavery Act

Harrison Goldman are making a voluntary simple statement in line with supporting the Modern Slavery Act 2015. We are a privately owned company in England, our only HQ: Airport House Purley Way Croydon CR0 0XZ. Our company’s turnover is less than the £36m; the figure the UK Government has set for companies to comply with the Modern Slavery Act 2015.

Harrison Goldman will try to ensure as far as is practical, that Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking are not taking place in our company or with any businesses we do business with, by making sure appropriate anti-slavery and human trafficking procedures are in place, as befits the size of the company. Our staff will be made aware of the subject and how to report any concerns to the Directors of Harrison Goldman or The Salvation Army 0300 303 8151 or The UK Government 24-hour modern slavery helpline for victims, employers and members of the public, who may encounter modern slavery, can call for expert support and advice.0800 0121 700.

HG 2022

Four Courts, Dublin Ireland

Four Courts, Dublin Ireland

four-courts-dublin-ireland-hg

Since 1921 the Four Courts, Inns Quay, Dublin has suffered continuing failure, and in February 2016 Harrison Goldman was appointed to assist the Office of Public Works in carrying out investigations into the condition of the capitols and cornices to the peristyle.

Designed by Thomas Cooley, work on the Four Courts building commenced in 1776. Following Cooley’s death, the architect James Gandon was appointed and the building as we see it today was completed in 1796.

During the Civil War 300-400 men of the anti-treaty Republican Force, led by Rory O’Connor, occupied Four Courts on the 15th April 1922.

On 29th June 1922 Michael Collins advised the provisional government to attack the building to end the siege by dislodging the rebels. The attack was carried out using artillery borrowed from the British.

Despite the shelling of the building, which was completely gutted, the structure of the building was still standing. However the timber domed copper covered roof was destroyed, leaving the round hall beneath completely ruined, together with the Portland stone columns to the peristyle, which were shattered by the shelling and damaged by the heat.

The 24 Corinthian capitols seated on top of the columns and supporting the peristyle, also suffered damage from the shelling and heat.

Although the Portland stone columns were replaced the damage to the Corinthian capitols only affected the exposed carved faces. During 1925-26 new Portland stone columns were erected and the Corinthian capitols were rotated 180° exposing the undamaged face. Two capitols had been completely destroyed and were replaced using cast stone.

Repairs carried out during the 1920s were starting to deteriorate with problems being reported and repairs carried out to the entablature and capitols in 1942.

Problems continued with the stonework through the 1940s, 50s and 60s and some repairs were carried out, however in 2011 a section of one of the column capitol fell on to the roof of the Four Courts below. The Office of Public Works appointed Trinity College School of Engineering to undertake analysis and testing of the stone.

four-courts-dublin-ireland

Harrison Goldman’s investigation considered in detail the work carried out by the Engineering Department of Trinity College. This work involved close inspections of all the existing stonework and the preparation of a detailed reports and annotated drawings, identifying the capitols that needed replacing, with proposals for the remedial work to the Portland stone cornice to the peristyle and the granite parapet. The worst damaged capitols identified were replaced.

cornice-before
Before
cornice-after
After

Produced by:
Harrison Goldman ©
December 2021

UKCA marking – British Standards Post Brexit

UKCA marking – British Standards Post Brexit

The Stone Federation GB, give the following information:

British Standards Secured Post-Brexit. On 23 November, the General Assemblies of the European Standards Organizations CEN and CENELEC approved a plan that secures British Standards Institutions’ full membership post-Brexit. BSI welcomed the outcome as a pragmatic solution that provides stability for the European standards system while meeting the needs of their stakeholders, which includes the natural stone industry. This means that all Eurocodes, EN product standards and EN test methods will still apply. The decisions, taken separately in both organizations, will also enable the UK industry and other stakeholders to continue their important work shaping and maintaining best practice standards used across Europe and internationally. It also means that UK experts will continue as chairs, convenors, committee members and policy experts to work on maintaining and developing the 20,000 European standards that are managed by CEN and CENELEC.

On 17th December 2020 BS 8298, the Standard that covers the Installation of Natural Stone Cladding and Lining was updated. It replaces the previous BS 8298 originally published in 2010.  The 2010 Standard consisted of four parts.  This has now been reduced to three parts, parts 2, 3 & 4 which cover hand setting, stone precast and rainscreens. The main aim of the revision was to provide more consistency with other material design Standards with values derived from industry experience and a historical precedent of conformity and not a reliability‑based analysis.  It is the long‑term goal for partial safety factors to be derived from a reliability‑based analysis in accordance with the principles of BS EN 1990:2002+A1, Annex D. This revised and significantly updated suite of standards provides guidance for all those involved in the selection, design and installation of natural stone cladding and is a must-have British Standard.

This is a full revision of the Standard and introduces the following principal changes:

• the incorporation of the recommendations for production control testing from BS 8298‑1:2010;

• the addition of several figures to illustrate key details; and

• the structural design of the stone has been updated to follow the principles of limit state design.

Harrison Goldman is associated with Stone Federation GB and as a company we have been involved with the production of British and European Standards and industry codes of practice, please contact us on 020 8689 4777 for further information on BS, UKCA, CE or industry codes of practice, we are here to help.

Croydon Airport

Airport House Croydon

The Croydon Airport Visitor Centre is a volunteer led micro-museum which opened its doors in 2000; the Visitor Centre is located in the world’s oldest Air Traffic Control Tower at: Airport House, Purley Way, Croydon, CR0 0XZ.

Opening Times

  • First Sunday of the month throughout the year (with the exception of New Years Day).
  • Please check the website for further details. 

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/historic-croydon-airport-guided-tours-control-tower-museum-limited-places-tickets-130809289105

Due to Covid-19 there are some restrictions on how we can operate the museum, please see the website for current information:

Visitor Centre